“Sow a thought and you reap an act;
Sow an act and you reap a habit;
Sow a habit and you reap a character;
Sow a character and you reap a destiny”
In the Clarifying Your Life Purpose article you were asked to complete a basic personal assessment that compares your current state with your desired state in important areas of your life. If you’re like most people, you identified a number of areas where your current outcomes fall short of your desired outcomes.
In this article we’ll summarize an approach to letting go of self limiting beliefs. The seeds that were planted by people you came in contact with during your lifetime. Seeds that have taken root in the garden of your mind. Seeds that have developed into patterns of thinking and behavior that prevent you from realizing your full potential. Seeds that hold you back from achieving your ideal outcomes.
Identifying Self limiting beliefs
As a starting point for identifying some of your limiting beliefs, read the list of your desired outcomes in life (Clarifying Your Life Purpose Worksheet). Your self limiting beliefs will start showing up immediately! Write down all of the negative arguments that come to the surface and ask:
- What beliefs about myself, others and my current situation trigger these thoughts? Example: I’m not good enough…
- What language do I use to describe myself, others and my situation when I am under the influence of these limiting beliefs? Example: You never finish what you start…
- How do I react to people and situations when I am under the influence of these limiting beliefs? Example: I experience feelings of fear, anger, resentment, guilt, shame… then, I make decisions and take action based on these feelings.
As you can see, limiting beliefs can trigger patterns of thinking and behaving that result in outcomes you DO NOT WANT.
Creating Empowering Beliefs
Fortunately, there are a number of things you can do to overcome your self limiting beliefs. You can begin by asking yourself a series of questions like:
- Is this belief a fact or an interpretation of the facts?
- What would I believe if I were someone who has already achieved the outcomes I seek? Someone like <enter name>.
- How did others overcome their limiting belief?
Next, you can choose and anchor beliefs that empower you by asking questions like:
- What beliefs can I begin to cultivate that will make a positive difference in my life?
- How can I start applying these empowering beliefs today?
- Where can I find support?
I encourage you to take action and let go of the self limiting beliefs that are holding you back. You will feel better, look better and have a better impact on those who come in contact with you as a result of the increased abundance of peace, love and joy that will take root in the garden of your mind.